Delicious Vegan Burger Bowls with Retha
This burger bowl, loaded with sweet potato wedges, fresh salsa, avocado and hummus is absolutely delicious! If you’re trying to cut down on meat, then this is the perfect recipe for you to try. It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner (hello meatless Monday), delicious enough for the entire family plus its full of nourishment and health boosting ingredients. The pattie is incredibly versatile and can be eaten in a bun with all the toppings, in a colourful salad bowl or broken into pieces in a wrap for lunch the following day. I’m sure you will love it as much as we did.
Retha and I had such a fun day in the kitchen (pre-Covid) overlooking the beautiful Table Mountain. She shared some amazing tips for vegan cooking and baking and is so kind as to share her recipe for these Vegan Burger Bowls.
Chickpea & Bulgar Patties Ingredients:
1/3 cup bulgar wheat 3/4 cup vegetable stock 1 large onion 3 cloves garlic 1 cup grated carrots 1 can chickpeas, drained 1/2 cup parsley 3 tbsp flour 3 tbsp flax powder 2 tsp Garam masala 1/2 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp coriander 1. Combine bulgar wheat with vegetable stock and allow to come to a simmer, then lower heat and cook covered for 10 mins. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside to cool down.
2. In the meantime; Fry onions, carrots and garlic until cooked through and smelling fragrant.
3. Add the cooked bulgar, fried veggies, and all remaining ingredients to a food processor. Season with salt and pepper and process until you have a sticky, shapeable dough.
4. Shape into 6 patties. Roll and coat them in a little bit of extra flour (this helps them keep their shape and crisp up) and refrigerate for 30 mins or more.
5. After 30 mins, heat up some olive oil in a frying pan.
6. Add the patties to the frying pan and fry on both sides for about 3 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
I love adding these to a burger bowl alongside some delicious sweet potato chips, fresh salsa, avo, rocket and a drizzle of hummus. Thank you to Retha from www.smollandhungry.com for the delicious recipe and fun day in the kitchen.
If you make this recipe, be sure to take a photo and tag us both on Instagram as we absolutely love seeing your creations.